BCIT’s School of Computing & Academic Studies is seeking a temporary, full-time (1.0 FTE) Program Assistant. This position provides a wide range of administrative and operational support for the Mathematics Department, which includes day school and part-time studies (PTS). This position assists with the planning, development, marketing and implementation of PTS activities as they relate to student enrolment. This includes customer service, admissions, program preparation and administration, marketing and special events coordination.
This position provides student support in areas related to conflict resolution, registration and status, orientation, marks review, direct entry evaluation and assessment, and Prior Learning Assessment Recognition (PLAR).
Duties & Responsibilities Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintains awareness of Program Head and/or Manager’s goals and objectives, establishing priorities and flagging items requiring immediate attention.
- Schedules meetings, arranges suitable venues and catering, drafts invitation lists, prepares materials for meetings, arranges parking and makes travel arrangements.
- Composes, signs and distributes correspondence, including those of a confidential and/or sensitive nature.
- Develops and maintains filing systems, including confidential personnel files as required.
- Based on a thorough knowledge of program requirements, provides course/program information to prospective students; refers students to information resources, appropriate agencies, counseling or faculty referrals as required.
- Designs a variety of documents including forms, reports, graphics and spreadsheets.
- Develops, maintains and updates procedures and information related to financial reporting requirements for programs and projects.
- Supports faculty selection process by conducting pre-screening interviews and summarizes results for management.
- Initiates and coordinates onboarding process for newly elected Program Head and faculty members.
- Coordinates and administers faculty attendance records.
- In conjunction with Committee Chair, Program Head and Manager, supports the administrative component of the faculty performance appraisal system by preparing, distributing and collating materials, ensuring adherence to established time lines and following up as needed.
- Provides information and assistance on a variety of matters to BCIT personnel, visitors and outside agencies in accordance with BCIT policies and procedures.
- Orders and maintains office supplies and equipment; ensures office equipment is maintained and serviced; perform routine upkeep.
- Coordinates the renewal of department software licenses and ensures they are up-to-date.
- Provides onboarding to new and existing employees on BCIT policies and department procedures.
- Assigns tasks to auxiliary staff, provides instruction and guidance, and monitors workload.
- Develops and implements processes for handling student assessments, records and reports
- Coordinates all activities associated with the development of courses or programs.
- Ensures preparation of course and program planning materials are in place such as creating CRN’s, ordering textbooks and course schedule.
- Handles term rollover and term-end processes for programs and courses, including course file updates in registration system.
- Monitors course enrolment and performs functions related to cancelling courses.
- Oversees credential and course tracking to ensure course requirements are met.
- Organizes and invigilates Prior Learning Assessment Recognition and makeup exams.
- Tracks and analyzes enrolment trends to make recommendations for developing new courses or program changes.
- Reviews department timetabling requests, resolves conflicts and maintains department spreadsheet.
- Compiles financial data related to program costing to determine break-even point.
- Processes invoices and cross-charges. Reviews and follows up on discrepancies as required.
- Coordinates and issues PTS faculty contracts for Program Head approval.
- Maintains list of department assets; assists with the annual capital asset inventory count.
- Reviews and edits website content to ensure accuracy of information.
- Provides vacation coverage and administrative support for other areas of the school as required.
- Participates in Records Custodian training and remains current with record keeping practices, policies and procedures (both BCIT and FOIPOP).
- Undertakes related duties as assigned, consistent with the job grade for this position.
- Completion of Grade 12, plus completion of one year of post secondary education in administrative skills and business administration.
- Two years of general experience plus two years of experience in a similar position within an educational environment.
- Demonstrated skills in the use of MS Office, registration systems, and internet applications, with particular emphasis on the ability to create complex, multifunctional spreadsheets in Excel.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, planning, coordination, and prioritization skills, with attention to following up on action items as required.
- Excellent written and oral skills.
- Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a team player.
- Proven ability to meet changing priorities, work to deadlines and make responsible decisions while maintaining high levels of customer service.
- Accurate keyboarding skills with a minimum of 50 wpm.
- Excellent conceptual thinking and problem solving skills.
- Project management experience to plan, organize, coordinate and communicate major initiatives involving faculty, staff and students.
- Ability to apply analytical skills and program knowledge.
Additional Information BENEFITS OF WORKING AT BCIT:
- Being a part of BC’s Top 100 Employers, and a member of the CCDI.
- A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a superb pension plan.
- Access to Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development.
- Increase your knowledge with Tuition waivers for BCIT courses.
- Enjoy discounted access to our fitness facilities (including classes like Yoga and Zumba).
- Additional Wellness and Employee Assistance programs.
Salary Range Salary grade 6: $49,090 - $53,170
Additional Salary Information External hires are initially placed at the minimum of the salary range with progression to the maximum. Salary prorated based on percentage and term of appointment.
Posting Category Administration
School/Service Area SCAS Mathematics Dayschool
Campus Location Burnaby campus
Bargaining Unit BCGEU Support Staff
Job Status Temporary
Number of Vacancies 1
Anticipated Start Date 10/04/2021
Anticipated End Date 09/23/2022
Competition Number 21B738
Competition Open Date 09/11/2021
Competition Close Date 09/20/2021
Open Until Filled?
Quicklink for Posting http://careers.bcit.ca/postings/4644