BCIT’s Centre for Applied Research and Innovation Department is currently seeking a Regular Full-time Trades Research Specialist
This position applies knowledge and expertise in the skilled trades to solve trades research problems that are a critical part of many research projects. Functions as a research team leader and/or team member in the BCIT Centre for Applied Research and Innovation (CARI).
“Trades research” means the application of one or more of the skilled trades (e.g. machining, tool & die, welding, electrical, electronics, etc.) to solve equipment design and/or materials fabrication problems associated with research done at BCIT.
Duties & Responsibilities Duties & Responsibilities
- Functioning as a research team leader and/or participant, plans, organises and conducts trades research on applied research project(s) in CARI, within the incumbent’s field of trades expertise. Ensures that projects are conducted with the most effective use of current technology.
- Provides the trades research component for project proposals to potential research sponsors (industrial clients or granting agencies).
- When projects are established, takes responsibility for trades research issues and acts as the trades research lead. Provides work leadership to other project staff and students as required.
- Prepares project documentation, including detailed drawings, manuals and reports, as required.
- Assumes responsibility for one or more specialty trades areas pertinent to the strategic research directions of CARI. Keeps up to date with current research in the trades area and new fabrication methods. Assumes trade’s advisory role for departmental research projects requiring this expertise.
- Responsible for maintenance and safe use of specialized trades related laboratory/research equipment in the CARI. This includes overseeing the repair, overhaul and maintenance of existing equipment and ensuring that a safe laboratory environment is maintained. This includes scheduling and supervising clean-up of the lab area. The position assumes responsibility for ensuring other personnel using the equipment are appropriately trained to do so and if not, training them or sending them for appropriate training. This includes ensuring that the lab and those using the lab adhere to WHMIS and other institute occupational health and safety procedures and policies.
- Performs general/administrative duties as required within CARI, including participating in staff meetings, committees and information sessions, providing management information, and assisting with acquisition of new equipment.
- Maintains a general knowledge of the aims and goals of BCIT, the educational programs in place, the proposed new programs, the expertise and capabilities of other faculty, staff and students, the equipment and other resources relevant to the incumbent’s field of expertise.
- Performs other related duties.
- Trade Qualification in the area of Machinist including CNC experience and a minimum of 5 years relevant work experience as a Journeyman; or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Familiarity in more than one area of Trades Specialization in addition to Machinist (Electronics (Instrumentation and Control), Electrical (Industrial Electrician) or Industrial Mechanic experience) would be an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to solve trades related problems on applied research and innovation projects and provide trades leadership to project teams.
- Aptitude for innovation, with a proven track record in working on trades components of applied research projects for industry.
- Superior knowledge of current and emerging trades technologies and trends and outstanding applied research experience in one or more of the unit’s identified strategic technologies.
- Previous supervisory or teaching experience and the ability to train others and the ability to instruct curriculum related to their trade qualification.
Additional Information BENEFITS OF WORKING AT BCIT:
- Being a part of BC’s Top 100 Employers, and a member of the CCDI.
- A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a superb pension plan.
- Access to Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development.
- Increase your knowledge with Tuition waivers for BCIT courses.
- Enjoy discounted access to our fitness facilities (including classes like Yoga and Zumba).
- Additional Wellness and Employee Assistance programs.
Salary Range Salary Grade $68,375 - $101,563
Additional Salary Information Salary prorated based on percentage and term of appointment.
Posting Category Faculty
School/Service Area Technology Centre-Operations
Campus Location CARI Building
Bargaining Unit BCGEU Faculty
Job Status Regular
Number of Vacancies 1
Anticipated Start Date 10/25/2021
Anticipated End Date
Competition Number 21GEUF43
Competition Open Date 09/11/2021
Competition Close Date
Open Until Filled? Yes
Quicklink for Posting http://careers.bcit.ca/postings/4643