Are you ready to take the next step in your career? Do you want to do meaningful work that improves quality of life? At Tetra Tech, you will work with high-performing teams who are passionate about using their expertise to find solutions to complex problems in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development.
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of high-end consulting and engineering services for projects worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees— 20,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion-dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in more than 400 locations around the world. We are Leading with Science® to provide sustainable and resilient solutions for our clients. At Tetra Tech, we provide a collaborative environment that supports individual performance, innovation, and creativity. We are proud to offer competitive compensation and benefits.
We are currently looking for an Intermediate to Senior Oceanographer / Hydrotechnical Engineer to join our Vancouver Water, Air and Coastal Group. This position will be part of a dynamic team of engineers and scientists engaged in a wide range of local, national and international hydrotechnical projects providing engineering and scientific services, including Oceanography, Limnology, Coastal Engineering, and 3-D Hydrodynamic Modelling.
The ideal candidate is passionate about and enjoys working on a wide variety of oceanographic-related projects in support of scientific studies to detailed engineering designs, including ocean/lake circulation and water quality modelling; sediment transport characterization; oil spill modelling; rip-rap design; wind/wave extreme event analyses; design criteria for submarine pipelines and forces on submarine pipelines; coastal engineering; impacts of marinas and breakwaters on the physical habitat of lakes; and wave modelling. The ability to see tasks through to completion is critical.
- Conducting engineering and scientific studies for several types of projects such as: oceanography, limnology, river engineering, wind/wave analyses, ocean/river current modelling, sediment transport, outfall/diffuser and deep-sea outfall design, climate change and coastal engineering.
- Leading modelling tasks using tools such as SWAN, XBeach, Delft-3D, Flow-3D, ANSYS Fluent, Tecplot and Matlab. In-house software such as H3D and SPILLCALC will also be used.
- Mentoring junior staff through all stages of a project
- Planning projects, managing budget, developing accurate scopes of work, cost estimates, project plans, schedules and deliverables to execute high quality projects on time and on budget
- Executing projects in compliance with Tetra Tech Canada Quality Management System procedures, communicate with team and client, reconcile financials, and archive files upon completion
- Maintaining current knowledge of leading-edge project management practices
- Writing reports and proposals
- Liaising between Tetra Tech’s offices across Canada/Australia and clients
- Participating in business development activities for the Air, Coastal and Lake Engineering Group
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in Civil/Hydrotechnical/Coastal Engineering or Oceanography
- Past extensive experience in three-dimensional hydrodynamic numerical modelling
- Experience in coastal engineering
- Proficient in Delft-3D or Telemac
- Experience in Fortran
- Quick-learning is a strong asset since the successful candidate will be using different complex tools
- At least 5 to 10 years of relevant engineering/scientist experience is essential
- Proven capabilities in writing reports and technical communications
- Proven relevant project record
- Strong academic knowledge of hydrotechnical engineering
- Experience or aptitude for proposal writing, client development, working in a team setting to meet timelines and other skills appropriate to consulting
- Registration as a P.Eng. (Professional Engineer) in British Columbia is required
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
A requirement of working for Tetra Tech is that you are at least 18 years of age and legally entitled to work in Canada. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required.
All qualified candidates will be considered for the role and will be eligible for relocation allowance if selected (and are located outside of British Columbia or Alberta).
This is a permanent full-time, salaried position. For more information on our company, please visit our website at www.tetratech.com. To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter on the Careers portion of our website at www.tetratech.com/careers.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Tetra Tech is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite resumes from all interested parties including women, visible minorities, aboriginals and persons with disabilities.
No calls or agencies